Sunday, November 3, 2013

Wesley Paul Gessner

Mr. Wesley made his appearance on Friday October 25th at 8:55 PM...  He was 7 pounds and 2 ounces and 20 & 1/4 inches tall.  When they pulled him out the first thing that I thought was OMG he looks so much like his brother!  Such a little cutie :)  

 Getting ready for my C-section.
 First family photo!


Here is the story: On Wednesday October 23rd my Mom, Aunt Debbie, Grandma, and I took Tristan to the pumpkin patch in Leesburg.  We had a blast!!  We went on a hayride and Tristan got to pet the animals…it was a good outing to walk around and try to get labor started, all while keeping Tristan happy!!  The day was great.  Around 10PM my contractions started to pick up and I was timing them anywhere between 7 and 9 minutes consistently.  I waited a whole hour before calling my mom and letting her know that we were now going on two hours of consistent contractions.  She came over and we camped out downstairs on the birthing ball and took a walk around the neighborhood.  These continued all into the next day.  Mike went to work, but I let him know that we would probably have a baby today or tomorrow!  He was able to leave work early and come home to be with me.  I was going on one full night of no sleep.   

All day the contractions were coming…more intense, but still not getting any closer together.  I labored hard all day.  Around 9:00 PM we decided to lay down and try to get some rest.  Every time I would contract I would have to jump out of bed because standing or moving was the only way to get through my contractions.  In between “sleep” the contractions were getting more and more intense.  I thought for sure Wesley’s head was pressing up against my pelvic bone.  We called the doctor and let him know what was going on, and he said that I wasn’t really in active labor, but I could go get checked.  The car ride was awful!  For being someone who had to have her contractions standing up…when they would come, it was excruciating.   

We made it to the hospital and got checked into triage.  They monitored me and I was contracting every 7 minutes and I was about 2 CM dilated.  They sent me home to work some more.  The car ride back home was even worse than the car ride to the hospital.  I was up the whole next night contracting and contracting, but never getting closer to 5 minutes apart.  I spent two hours in the bathtub and that felt great! But my contractions slowed even further down.  By the morning, they were coming about every 20 minutes.  We had a doctor’s appointment at 10 and we decided to talk to the doctor about what to do.  He checked me and I was 3 cm dilated and he said that my body was favorable for a natural induction!  

We headed to Reston hospital to get checked in and my doctor came and broke my water.  Kaitlyn, our doula, met us at the hospital as well.  My contractions were now coming about every 5 minutes apart.  Once he broke my water, things were speeding up.  The contractions were more intense and I really had to stand during them.  Kaitlyn was great…she kept me relaxed and even massaged my back in between contractions. Even though standing was the best way for me to have a contraction, Wesley was having some decelerations in his heart rate every time I moved.  

Around 8 PM the doctor came to check me and I had progressed to 6 & 1/2 CM, but Wesley's decelerations were happening more frequently and they were getting worried.  We talked over our options and all agreed it would be best to just proceed with the C-section.  They wheeled me in and took him out!!  Mike was with me the entire time and it was very exciting to finally meet our little guy.  He came at exactly 41 weeks.  

Recovery was rough because I lost a lot of blood.  We were in the hospital for four nights and five days and I ended up needing a blood transfusion.  It was very scary and I am still recovering (and will be recovering for months to come).  I am feeling better so far, but I will have a couple meetings with the hematologist to figure out what is going on with my body.  I am so thankful for all of the help we have been getting!  Everyday that Mike is not here, someone has been here to help me get Tristan out of bed and down the stairs.  It is amazing and we feel so loved. 

Yay! Finally on our way home!
 Proud daddy
 :)

Tristan got to meet his baby brother in the hospital and he is in love!  So far since we have been home, he has been showing some jealousy which is killing me because I can't lift him and I can only go up and down the stairs once a day.  But, he seems to really love his brother and he showers him with kisses and hugs.   


Wesley is thriving and even gained his birth weight back in 6 days!  He is nursing like a little old pro and is so far a happy baby.  I could not be more in love! 

<3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment