Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Favorite Things

I decided that since I know so many new moms and future mommas-to-be that I would do "my favorite things" post.  Here are some of the Gessner family's favorite things.

Pregnancy:

Camelback water bottle-  this came in handy because I was drinking gallons of water everyday.  Being pregnant (and even nursing) made me so parched!!  Water was a necessity for me anywhere I went and the camelback made it easier to tote it around.

Body Dew Oil (Vanilla scented)-  I used this everyday to mask how nasty the stretch mark cream smelled.  Every time I would get out of the shower I would later myself in the stretch mark lotion and then quickly spray the body dew over top.

Victoria's Secret Yoga Pants- I don't think I have to describe how essential these puppies were during pregnancy.  They went well under all of the little stretchy dresses I acquired to wear during the summer.

Infant:

Moby Wrap- we strapped our little guy in this and took him everywhere.  He even loved it because it felt like he was back in the womb.  Also, no one was nosey about the baby when I had him in the Moby wrap.

Fisher Price Seahorse- "Sunny" as we call her soothed Tristan to sleep for about 6 months!

Swing- This thing was a life saver!  Tristan spent a lot of his infant stage in this swing because it made him happy.  We had the Fisher Price Little Lamb Swing that ran on batteries and it worked out well.

Rock n'Play-  This would be the number one thing I would recommend to new moms.  It is inexpensive and babies love to be in it.  Tristan slept in his RNP every night until he was about 2 months old.  It is tiny and can fit right next to the bed and it keeps them at an elevated comfortable position.

Soothie Pacifier- Tristan was and is a pacifier lover (see last post).  These were the kind that we started with because they were most similar to a nipple and we wanted to make sure that there was no confusion...although, I am now wondering if that whole "nipple confusion" things is just another made up thing to give new moms anxiety...

Nipple Shield-  The lactation consultant gave me one of these while nursing at the hospital and it really helped the first couple weeks to get the little guy to latch and get lots of milk.  

Baby:
Ergo-  As stated above, we got really used to toting Tristan around.  Once he became more active it was difficult to have him in the stretchy Moby wrap because he would just push away from us.  We decided to get a more "sturdy" baby carrier and we settled on the Ergo.  We still use this occasionally!  It is so easy to switch between two different people (of size and shape) which was essential because both Mike and I were wearing him.  He could not push out of this wrap and he seemed very comfortable not hanging from his crotch.  It also helped take pressure of carrying him off of my back and put it evenly distributed on my hips.

City Mini Stroller-  Our BIG splurge and a must have.  We got a travel system at a yardsale for $60 bucks and thought we were set!  It had everything we needed...except it was huge, ugly, bulky, and wouldn't fit in the back of our Prius (this was a problem considering we own TWO Prii).  Anyway, someone on my board (and Sarah of course) recommended the City Mini.  We went and tried it out and fell it love.  It is so light weight and can fold up with one hand.  It fits in the back of our cars and even is super easy to take the wheels off of to make more room.  Tristan loves his stroller (when he decides he wants to stroll).  The ONLY downfall to this stroller is that the basket is tiny, but we make it work.

Jumperoo- Tristan loved his Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo.  Erin and Chris had just bought this when we went down to meet Blake for the first time and Tristan got to try it out.  He had a blast bouncing so we knew we needed to get one.  We found a gently used one off craigslist for half-price and it was so worth it! 

Pacifier Chain- Oh pacifier chain how I love you!  My Aunt Berta got us our pacifier chain for my baby shower.  This is a "chain" that holds the pacifier at one end and a clip on the other end so you can clip it to your child, the stroller, or the car seat.  This is important because if you use a pacifier it WILL drop a million and a half times.  

Toddler:

Munchie Mug-  This was a little diddy my mom picked up for us.  It is a cup with a thick fabric top that kids can squeeze their little hands through and get a snack, but doesn't let any snacks out.  This is genius!  I am sure everyone has seen the ones with the little plastic cut outs at the top...these don't work!!  But, the Munchie Mug does!  Tristan brings his everywhere and beats it up (throws it and shakes it), but no snacks come out.

Pandora Music-  This is a different thing other than just a baby thing.  Tristan enjoys music.  Any music and all music.  He likes pop-type more than sing songs, but he is happy with just about anything.  Pandora has been great because we can flip it on and make him happy in an instant.


Here are some pictures that my awesome neighbor Kate G. took of Tristan!
 Isn't she so good?!!  She is practicing and thinking about going into photography!
Again, both of these pictures were taken by Kate G. 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment